Paleo BBQ Pulled Pork
For the meat
- One shoulder of pork (or any cheaper cut for your slow cooker)
- sea salt and pepper to rub the meat
- tablespoon of dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves ( minced to rub OR I just cut slits in the pork and sat the whole clove in)
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 3-4 cloves crushed to rub put into slits on the meat (optional)
- A sprinkle of fresh Thyme (optional I got some from our school garden and Ive been using it with everything!)
- 1 Teaspoon of smoked paprika ( regular paprika is fine if you dont have it)
Trim the fat off your pork and rub all your ingredients over your meat, place it all in the slow cooker and cook for about 6-8 hours.
Once this time is up, remove from the slow cooker and start shredding, this will be super dooper easy to do after being in the slow cooker for so long! If you have kept your garlic and cloves whole, remember to remove them!
Drain the excess liquid from your slow cooker into a bowl to add to the sauce and put all the meat back in while you make your sauce.
- 2-3 garlic cloves crushed/minced
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
- 1-2 cups of Organic diced/crushed tomatoes
- The juice of 1 lemon
- the juice of meat (stored in a bowl)
- 3 tablespoons of Rapadura sugar/cocout sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of coffee ( You can omit this completely , or replace it with 1-2 ground cloves for a slightly different flavour)
- Teaspoon of paprika
- pinch of sea salt and pepper to taste
Heat all ingredients on a medium heat in a saucepan on the stove until all combined, (there will be a orange froth at the top of the liquid when its all mixed together). Add this sauce to your pork and cook for another 1-2 hours or until ready to serve.
And wahlah! Babes your uncle! (get it babe, pig? uncle? HAHA, im so funny!)
I serve this with some fresh spinach and a cauliflower fried “rice” which was delicious, and double delicious the next day! But you could just serve it alongside a simple salad or some mashed sweet potato, whatever tickles your fancy!